In the begining... there were Cake Pops

April 2010, a cake popper was born!
 
It was my birthday and I decided, if I'm going to make my own cake, why not change it up a bit. I had heard a lot about these "cake pop" things, so ...why not give it a shot?!
 
I mixed up a batch of "purple velvet cake" (my first cake from scratch) and baked it as normal.
 
 
Cool
Crumble
Frost
 Roll
and Refrigerate
 
(...for more instructions on making cake balls and pops, keep an eye out for that post in the future!)
 
Now that the easy part was over it was time to move on to the candy coating.
*Sigh, the candy coating...
At the time I didn't know about the bags of candy that come in all different colors so I went to the store and bought chocolate and white chocolate bark, melted it in the microwave and proceeded to dip.
 
My first pop, well, lets say it didn't turn out so well.
Ok, ok, neither did my second, third or fourth.
Lucky for me, my mom taught me to NEVER GIVE UP. Eventually I was coating my cake pops and cake balls like a pro ...semi pro ...minor leaguer.
 
Here, see for yourself!  
 
Not too bad, right?!
 
 
Eventually, I ran out of candy coating so I added a swirl of frosting on top, edible glitter and sprinkles.
 
 
After all the baking, decorating and pictures I was finally able to enjoy my birthday. One cake pop at a time!
It was love at first PoP!!!
 
 
01